Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hey, There's Pumpkin In My Cereal (Sort Of)


Those who know me are well aware that my breakfast cereal box is more likely to have a leprechaun or blue ghost adorning it. However once and awhile I'll make an attempt to have something else in my house that's "healthy" for breakfast in addition to my usual oatmeal. Occasionally I will even check the tiny area marked "Organic" in my local grocey store. Recently I was looking in that very area and a cereal caught my eye--Nature's Path Organic Flax Pumpkin Raisin Crunch. It contained pumpkin, certainly not an ingredient one sees every day. I hardly noticed the rather gigantic "FLAX PLUS" type on the box, which normally would send me running to a sweet "yabba-dabba-do" treat instead. Since the Nature's Path cereal was on sale for a very reasonable price, I figured what the heck, I do love pumpkin, hopefully it won't taste horrible, and after all it is good for me. I strolled up to the cashier leaving behind lonely boxes of SpongeBob SquarePants and Froot Loops. A few days later, I tried my new purchase and was surprised that it wasn't terrible--in fact it was pretty darn good. I took a look at a handful of the cereal and while I can't say there were very many pumpkin seeds to be found, it was still chock full of raisins and lots of other good-for-you ingredients like rolled oats, flax meal and cinnamon, all organic. It's also high in fiber and has 650 mg. Omega-3's per serving. I've also eaten the cereal as a snack without milk and I have to say I'm impressed. It may not be enough for me to try the company's other cereals (until they perhaps come out with a Flax Plus Chocolate Creme flavor) but give it a try--it's about as tasty as it comes in "healthful" cereal form.

http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold_cereals/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Nature's Path cereals. The Ginger Zing granola is delicious! I'll definitely try the Pumpkin Flax too.

Rosella