Friday, September 28, 2007

Bacon+Salt+Chocolate=Vosges


I'm lucky enough to work near the Vosges SoHo shop on Spring Street and recently the company's window signage was heralding a new entry in its "Exotic Candy Bar" line: Mo's Bacon Bar. Initially I thought how strange an idea that was for a chocolate bar but when I really thought about it, how different is it from a meal you might have with pancakes, bacon and syrup--sweet with meat? So I headed to my little "Haut-Chocolat Boutique" to check out the goods (Vosges' newest enticing treats include a cheese and chocolate truffle combination which includes balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, Sicilian sea salt and Tuscan fennel pollen!). Mo's Bacon Bar's ingredients are Applewood smoked bacon, Alder wood smoked salt, and deep milk chocolate. Not much not to like there. Finally home, it was time to try the porky sweet. My first taste was of the bacon--they certainly didn't skimp on the meat. The chocolate blends very well with the bacon and then one gets the crunch of the smoked salt to top it all off. I found myself wanting more and in fact had to put it away before I pigged out and ate the entire bar. I have to admit that this is by far my most favorite of Vosges' exotic candy bar line of which I've had mixed results (Red Fire/good--Black Pearl/not good). At $7.00 a bar, it's not cheap but if you want something different--very different, Mo's should be your choice.


www.vosgeschocolate.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I am saying this, but I am going to try one of these things!

Anonymous said...

I bought this product today and you were right it was absolutely delicious! I love the combination of sweet and salty.