Monday, June 18, 2007

Glory, Glory Hallelujah


I prefer canned vegetables as my fresh stuff goes bad most of the time before I have a chance to use them. I lean toward the less-known brands rather than the Del Montes and Green Giants of the supermarket world. There's nothing wrong with them at all; it's just that my taste buds prefer veggies with some Southern-style kick to them. I believe I've found THE BEST in this category: Glory Foods' line of "Sensibly Seasoned" vegetables. I picked up a can of the turnip greens to check out, not really expecting much. Boy, was I wrong. The turnip greens were tasty and perfectly seasoned. I took a look at the company's site for more info and found they have an extensive line of this type of "healthier for you" canned veggies. Lower in sodium, fat and meatless, Glory Foods also includes such staples as tomatoes & okra; okra & corn; blackeye peas; mixed greens; and red, pinto and black beans. I am a huge fan of okra so I'm hoping I can find some of these other delicious concoctions on the shelves somewhere. If you're also curious, here's some other offerings listed on Glory's site: fried apples, savory sauerkraut, New Orleans style creole rice, among many, many others. These aren't "Sensibly Seasoned" but they make sense to me. Keep your eyes peeled for the orangy-brown label and give it a try. You'll soon be singing to the heavens too!

http://www.gloryfoods.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't usually buy canned veggies because they tend to be so bland and tasteless, but I will try this brand based on your recommendation. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe canned veggies should be a staple just a rare treat. You must eat your fresh veggies!!!

Anonymous said...

Eat fresh vegetables!

Rudy Bega