Sunday, June 24, 2007

Going Ape Over This Coffee


I decided I'm sick and tired of drinking crappy coffee at home. Generally when my coffee is putrid (hello, most store brands), I'll just use some flavored coffee creamer to mask the putrid taste and then get a decent cup of joe on the way to work. But no more. First of all, who needs all the calories that are in the flavored coffee creamers and secondly, there must be somebody out there who can give me the proper beans to brew a wonderful cup of coffee. This past weekend I braved Whole Foods in Union Square because I was too lazy to go to the store on Houston. I decided to take a look at the coffee the store carries, sniffing a few bags along the way. I laid my eyes on the bright red and black packaging of Gorilla Coffee, choosing the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe (easy for you to say maybe). I had no idea what to expect but my nose really liked this coffee even if my wallet didn't. I carried my new find up to the not-too-unreasonable-for-a-Saturday Whole Foods line, all the while breathing in the delicious fragrance of what I hoped was maybe the best cup of coffee I might ever have. And it does not disappoint. After grinding my beans, I waited anxiously for my morning coffee and I was thrilled to find that I spent my money wisely this time. The coffee is smooth and absolutely fantastic. According to the packaging, Gorilla is an independent "micro-roastery" in Brooklyn, N.Y. Their coffee is made in small batches and each bag has a "roast date." The company sells to select stores and food shops so hopefully there's one by you. If not, Gorilla sells their products by mail via their site. Additional flavors include Sumatra Gayoland, Brazil, Espresso-A-Go-Go, and Blendamentosis, among others. Best joe I've ever had, and I'm not monkeying around.

www.gorillacoffee.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would really like to try this coffee but they won't ship to Canada. Maybe if I'm really lucky, someone who already has this coffee might invite me over for a cup next time I'm in NYC.

Canadian Fruitcake